Status: 

Completed

Title

Coarse Woody Debris in Bisley Experimental Forest and the Rio Icacos Basin
Summary

Short name: 

LUQMetadata128

Data set ID: 

128

Abstract: 

Organic matter pools appear to differ in composition between Bisley and Icacos. On average (n=30), 79% of Bisley organic matter was composed of coarse woody debris. Of the remaining 21% organic matter pool, approximately 2% was from leaves, 9% was from fruit, 9% was from miscellaneous matter, and 1% was from wood matter with diameters < 2.5 cm. In comparison, 57% (n=30) of Icacos organic matter was composed of coarse woody debris. Of the remaining 43% organic matter pool, approximately 0% was from fruit, 16% was from leaves, 10% was from miscellaneous matter, and 18% was from wood matter with diameters < 2.5 cm. The data suggest a less recalcitrant organic matter pool in the Icacos environment and higher rates of turnover than in the Bisley environment. It was also apparent that woody matter (< 2.5 cm diameter) deposition was a significant source of OM inputs in the Icacos plots.

Dates
Date Range: 
2001-02-26 00:00:00 to 2002-02-19 00:00:00

Publication Date: 

2011-06-07 00:00:00
People

Additional Project roles: 

Name: Eda Melendez-Colom Role: Data Manager
Name: Jordan Macy Role: Associated Researcher
Methodology

Methods: 

In each of the sites, we surveyed 6 plots using 5 - 20 m transects (n=30). Transects were spaced 4 m apart in each plot. At each intersect of the 1 cm wide measuring tape, organic matter debris > 2.5 cm diameter was recorded. Mass values from the coarse woody debris (CWD) were calculated using a mass density of .661 g cm3. Litter data was collected using a 0.16 m2 sampling square from five random locations in each of the plots (n=30). Litter was separated into categories of fruit, leaves, miscellaneous material and woody material < 2.5 cm diameter, then dried and weighed.

Status: 

Completed

Time Period: 

Short-Term